Send Those Expired Coupons To Military Families Overseas

A household of sickness has kept me out of the couponing game this week.  I made my lists and fully intended to make it to the store, but this stomach virus we've been passing back and forth didn't agree.  That means I missed out on the Buy 1 Get 1 Free box of Staples all purpose paper that I really wanted to pick up as well as quite a few other things from coupons that expired yesterday.  I've got a huge stack of coupons expiring today as well, and I know I won't use them.

I could just throw out those expired coupons, but I choose not to.  I prefer to send them to military families overseas that need them.  Most families living on military bases overseas are already on tight budgets, and depending on where they are stationed those budgets may be even tighter thanks to currency exchange rates.  They don't have access to Sunday inserts like we do in the states, so it's always nice to have a chance to help out the military personnel who are risking their lives for our country.

If you would like to get involved there are many ways to do so.  Here are just a few of the many organizations that can help your coupons reach a family overseas.

1. The Overseas Coupon Program- This program allows you to choose a base to "adopt" and send your coupons to.  Read the Adoptions page to get started.  It is recommended that you do not send coupons that are more than 2 months expired.  Many bases will allow families to use these coupons up to 6 months past expiration date, but because they are sorted and handed out by the program you need to allow time for the coupons to reach the families before the 6 month limit.

2. Coupons For Troops- There is a directory listing at the bottom of the page where you can find information for local coupon drop offs in your area.  If you're already on a tight budget and don't think you can afford to ship the coupons this is a great alternative.

3. Troopons- You will find the address at the bottom of the article to send coupons that are no more than 2 months expired.  Please remember to follow all sorting instructions!